Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer




Several programs are available to help with educational costs for veterans; some programs may have additional eligibility requirements.



  • First entered active duty 7-1-85 or later and completes active duty of 2 years or more or who completes 2 years of active duty and enters the Selected Reserves for 4 or more years.

Length of Eligibility:

  • You have 10 years from the date of your last separation from active duty, or until you have used all your months of entitlement, whichever is earlier.



  • Must have a service connected disability rated at 20 % or more which causes a demonstrable employment handicap.

Length of Eligibility:

  • You have 12 years from your last separation from active duty or from the date service connection is established.



  • Served on active duty for at least 181 continuous days and enlisted for the first time between 1-1-77 and 6-30-85 inclusive, and signed up prior to 4-1-87 to make contributions while on active duty; can disenroll and later re-enroll if still on active duty.

Length of Eligibility:

  • You have 10 years from the date of your last separation from active duty.



  • If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2011, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably charged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.

Length of Eligibility:

  • You have 15 years from your last separation from active duty or until you have used all your 36 months of entitlement.


Chapter 35- Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA)

  • Dependents’ Education Assistance is a monthly education benefit for spouses, surviving spouses, and children of a permanently and totally disabled veteran (100% P&T). You may be eligible for Chapter 35 benefits if you fall under one of the following categories:
  1. Spouse of veteran rated permanently and totally (100 % P&T) disabled by the VA.
  2. Surviving spouse in receipt of Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC) benefits.
  3. Child of a veteran who is rated permanently and totally disabled (100 % P&T) due to a service-connected disability or who died in service or died as the result of a service-connected disability.

The person who is entitled to Chapter 35 benefits receives 45 months of assistance under this program. A veteran’s spouse is eligible for education assistance for 10 years from the date of permanent total disability notification. The eligibility period is extended to 20 years from date of death if the death occurred on active duty or if the veteran was found to be permanently and totally disabled within 3 years of discharge from service. A child is eligible between the age of 18 (or completion of high school) until age 26.  For more specific information contact our office or visit the Dependents Education Assistance website.




  • Officer – Added 6 years to their current obligation after 6-30-85.
  • Enlisted – Enlisted, reenlisted or extended enlistment for a 6-year period after 6-30-85.

Length of Eligibility:

You may receive benefits until your eligibility period ends or you use all your entitlement, whichever comes first. You have 10 years from the date you became eligible to use your benefits. If you leave the Selected Reserve, generally your benefits end the day you separate; however, there are certain exceptions to this rule. Other Factors to Consider

Your eligibility for the program normally ends the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

An exception exists if you are mobilized or recalled to active duty from your reserve status in which case your eligibility may be extended for time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months, your eligibility period is extended for 16 months; 12 months of active duty PLUS four months. Even if you leave the Reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility under the MGIB-SR.

If your unit is deactivated during the period beginning Oct. 1, 2007, through Sept. 30, 2014, or you are involuntarily separated for reasons other than misconduct, you will retain your original period of eligibility, which is 14 years from the date of your first six-year obligation with the Selected Reserves.


Follow these steps to become eligible and apply:

  1. Get the DD Form 2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility, when you become eligible for the program from your unit. Your unit will also code your eligibility into the DoD personnel system so VA may verify your eligibility.
  2. Then make sure your selected program is approved for VA training. If you are unsure, VA will inform you and the school or company about the requirements.
  3. Obtain and complete VA Form 22-1990 (Application for Education Benefits). Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the state where you will train.
  4. If you started training, take your application and your Notice of Basic Eligibility to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999 not available online Enrollment Certification, and send all the forms to VA.









Translate »