This is a monthly compensation benefit awarded to surviving spouses and children of veterans whose death is related to their active duty service or a result of the veteran’s service connected disability. DIC can be granted if the veteran had been rated 100% service-connected for ten or more years at the time of death and dies from non-service-connected causes other than willful misconduct.
The surviving parent(s) of a veteran may be eligible for an income-based benefit called Parents’ DIC.
To apply you will need:
- VA award letter showing service-connected conditions
- Copy of veteran’s death certificate
- Marriage certificate (if surviving spouse is applying)
- Birth Certificates (if dependent children are applying)
- Private treatment records from treating physicians