Skip to content Skip to footer

Frequently Asked Questions/Help

  • How can I obtain a copy of my deed and/or map to my property?

Answer:  You may come into our office or visit us at our website at

  • Can the register of deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address?

Answer:  We cannot research property by address. Visit the Pender County GIS website at to search properties by address.

  • Can anyone access the information contained in the register of deeds office?  Answer:  Yes, the information in our office is public record with the exception of vital records and military discharges.
  • Why is my personal information made available by the Register of Deeds office?

Answer:  State law requires it.  According to N.C.G.S. § 132 law, “The public records and public information compiled by the agencies of North Carolina Government or its subdivisions are the property of the people. Therefore, it is the policy of this state that the people may obtain copies of their public records and public information free or at minimal cost unless otherwise specifically provided by law.” As such, documents recorded by the Pender County Register of Deeds cannot be withdrawn from public inspection on demand.

  • What if I have personal information (SSN, License #, Passwords, etc.) that I need removed? 

Redaction of personal information N.C.G.S. § 132-1.10(f)

Persons submitting documents to be recorded with the Register of Deeds should not include personal information, such as their Social Security number, employer taxpayer identification, driver’s license number, state identification, passport, bank account numbers, PIN numbers and passwords, in the document unless specifically required by law to do so.

Any person has the right to request the removal of such personal information if it appears in the public view on the Register of Deeds website.

The request must be made in writing and delivered by mail, facsimile, electronic transmission, or delivered in person, to the Register of Deeds. The request must specify the personal information to be redacted and include information that identifies the document and the page within the document that contains their Social Security number, employer taxpayer identification, driver’s license number, state identification, passport, bank account numbers, PIN numbers and passwords.

An individual can request the redaction only of his or her own personal information – one person per form.  Public Records Redaction Request

No fee will be charged for the redaction pursuant to such a request. Any person who requests a redaction without proper authority to do so can be punished by a fine not to exceed $500 for each violation.

  • How do I transfer names on a deed; or can I make my own deed?

Answer:  Yes, however, it is highly recommended that you retain the services of an attorney.

  • What is Revenue or Excise Tax calculation on a deed?

Answer:  August 1, 1991- Present:  $2.00 per $1,000.00                                                                               1969- July 1991:  $1.00 per $1,000.00                                                                                             Prior to 1969:  $1.10 per $1,000.00

  • Does your office do title searches?

Answer:  No, North Carolina General Statutes strictly prohibits the staff of the Register of Deeds from performing title searches.

  • May I file my child’s birth certificate with your office if the child was born in another state?

Answer:  We cannot file an out of county or state birth, death, or marriage.

  • How far back does Pender County property records go?

Answer:  Pender County Real Estate records go back to 1875.

  • How can I get a copy of a will?

Answer:  Wills are filed in the Pender County Clerk of Court’s office.  Their phone number is (910) 663-3900.

  • How can I get a copy of my divorce?

Answer:  If the divorce took place in Pender County, you may obtain a copy at the Clerk of Court’s office on the first floor of the Courthouse.  Their phone number is (910) 663-3900.

Translate »