Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Public Notices

New 2023 Trash Sticker Update

The new 2023 trash stickers should be received in the mail by May 15th if your taxes were paid by January 1st in full including the Solid Waste Fee. You are ONLY allotted the 2 mailed stickers but can purchase one additional decal at $40.00 by coming into our Burgaw office or visiting the transfer station.  The decals will be mailed to the address that you have on file with the tax office as of January 1st, 2023. If your taxes were paid late or you had a payment arrangement that has been paid in full, please bring proof of payment to collect stickers. If you were not charged the $220.00 in your tax bill, you can pay at the office and receive the stickers.

Solid Waste Decal Purchase Procedures for County Residents in Incorporated Areas

Pender County residents in incorporated areas do not receive Pender County Solid Waste decals, due to receiving (and paying for) solid waste services from their municipality. These residents are not charged a solid waste availability fee by Pender County. However, if residents in incorporated areas desire to utilize Pender County Solid Waste Convenience Center sites, they can pay the appropriate availability fee for the Full or Recycle-only decals to gain access. The fee charged for decals is for the complete period of service. All sales are final, and no refunds will be issued. If county decals are purchased, any solid waste fees paid to a municipality will NOT be affected. You will NOT receive a refund of your town’s fees and will still have to pay your town’s fees in the future.

Christmas trees disposal

Pender County residents may dispose of their Christmas trees at the Rocky Point and Hampstead Convenience Centers for three weeks following Christmas.

Christmas lights and ornaments should be removed from the trees prior to disposal.

The Rocky Point Convenience Center is located at 16232 NC Hwy 210. The center is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Closed Sundays and Wednesdays.

The Hampstead Convenience Center is open Mondays through Saturdays 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sundays 1 – 7 p.m. The Hampstead center is located at 250 Transfer Station Rd.

Pender County convenience centers temporarily suspend acceptance of LP Gas Tanks

BURGAW – Due to changes in safety and recent changes in recycling guidelines, Pender County Solid Waste District will not accept LP gas tanks.

“We have taken a large volume of LP gas tanks and at this time we can’t accept more,” said Keel.

Rresidents should contact the original provider of the tank for assistance or contact these possible sources of disposal:

  • Parker Gas, 7491-B Market St., Wilmington, 28411; Call 910-319-4070
  • T. Lee Gas Company, 1760 Carolina Beach Rd., Wilmington, 28401; Call 910-763-1651
  • Blue Rhino Station locations;


Solid Waste Trash and Recycling Sticker Information

Pender County Solid Waste Trash and Recycling Sticker Information

Where can I obtain and pay for the solid waste stickers?

Solid waste stickers can be obtained during business hours from the Hampstead  Transfer Station Scale House and the Burgaw Utilities Office with VISA/MASTER CARD.

 Who receives solid waste stickers and when are they issued?

One set containing two solid waste stickers are issued for one year according the tax rolls payment on both property and personal property taxes. (Personal property is listed if it is a habitable structure with an electric meter.) Only county residents in the unincorporated areas of the county receive solid waste stickers which are issued every year. Form of proof of residence- ID or Driving License, water bill, electric bill or closing statement. They are issued at the end of April or early May 2023.

How do I obtain additional solid waste stickers?

A maximum of two stickers will be issued to the listed taxpayer. Additional solid waste stickers can be obtained at a rate of $40.00 per sticker.


 Why are there two different solid waste stickers types and how is it determined which solid waste sticker I should receive?

The two solid waste sticker types include a Full Use Sticker and a Recycle Only Sticker. The type sticker you receive is based on the Solid waste Fee you paid with your tax bill. If your tax bill Solid Waste fee is coded Reduced, you paid an annual fee of $110.00 which allows recycling only. (Reduced code is listed on your tax bill because the tax office received a statement from private trash hauler indicating you were a customer receiving such a service). If your tax bill Solid Waste Fee is coded Full Use, you paid an annual fee of $220.00 which allows full use of the convenience sites.


What is the difference between the two solid waste stickers?

The Full Use sticker allows disposal of household trash and recyclable materials at all the convenience sites. Limited quantities of construction debris, large household items under 200 lb. a day may be disposed of at the Burgaw, Rocky Point and Willard sites with the exception that loads of the materials exceeding 200 lb. must be disposed of at the Transfer Station Scale House in Hampstead and a fee imposed according to the current tonnage rate fee.

The Recycle Only Sticker only allows disposal of comingled recyclable materials at the convenience sites. All other materials must be disposed of at the Transfer Station Scale House and a fee imposed according to the current tonnage rate fee.

How do I change the solid waste sticker I received?

If you received a FULL USE sticker and would like a RECYCLE ONLY sticker you need to show proof via current private hauler invoice, exchange your full use stickers for recycling only and notify the tax office to change your solid waste fee code. A refund will be provided within 60 days.

If you received a RECYCLE ONLY sticker and would like a Full USE, you must pay the difference in cost and notify the tax office to change your solid waste fee code.


I just moved here. How do I get a solid waste sticker?

You must provide proof of county residency and pay the full solid waste fee for type requested .


What if I have a business in the County?

Business and commercial uses are not entitled to the solid waste stickers and must employ a private hauler for their trash and recyclable materials. Non-recyclable materials, excluding trash and recyclable materials, can be taken to the Transfer Station Scale House and a fee imposed according to the current tonnage rate fee.

Vegetation debris disposal

  • Branch and Brush Debris Depot, a new Hampstead-based business located at 21435 U.S. 17, will accept any vegetative debris that can be burned.  Pull-up service is available Mondays – Fridays, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. For more information call 910-581-1719.


  • American Property Experts, 606 Sunny Vale Dr. in Wilmington, will accept yard waste for a fee of $25 per pick-up truck load.


Construction debris and Large household Items disposal 

Residents who have Solid Waste Decals may use the Burgaw, Willard, Rocky Point Convenience Sites and the Hampstead Transfer Station to dispose of large household items, construction debris in the construction debris bins. Loads must be under 200 lbs. once a day.


The Hampstead Transfer Station, located at 250 Transfer Station Rd. off US Hwy 17, will accept household items, carpet or rugs, appliance and metals, tires without rims, construction debris and broken-down pallets.  Loads up to 200 lbs. are free per day if resident has a Full-Use sticker. However, larger loads are charged $78 a ton. No cash is accepted. The transfer station accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or checks.

The transfer station scale house is open Mondays – Saturdays 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

The website is:


The transfer station will not accept brick, cement, and mortar, yard vegetation, paint, oil, gasoline, explosives and hazardous materials, batteries or electronics.

Translate »