The Pender County Board of Commissioners are closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic. The safety and health of Pender County residents and employees are of great concern.
Pender County officials continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic. As of this morning, there are 33 cases of COVID-19 in the State of North Carolina. Currently there are no cases in Pender County.
Pender County Health and Human Services is monitoring the pandemic and providing updated information to our communications personnel.
Consistent with state and CDC guidance, Pender County officials are following protocols to prevent the impact of COVID-19.
County operations and events
Pender County Government business will continue to operate, but several programs and services are impacted in order to help reduce risk to our community:
• All county-sponsored group activities and events have been suspended.
• All organized sports in Pender County parks have been suspended. Parks are not yet closed to the public, but that is a day to day situation to monitor.
• The facilities department is paying special attention to disinfecting all doorknobs, surfaces, etc. Each employee is also responsible for their cleansing workspace and equipment.
• Pender Fire and EMS has issued protective measures for personnel.
• At this time, the Board of Commissioners, Planning Board, and most other official government meetings will continue as scheduled.
• Additionally, county employees will not travel out of town for business, will hold meetings, as much as possible, by conference call, webinar or a virtual platform.
• Visitation in the Pender County Jail has been suspended until further notice.
• Cooperative Extension will postpone all educational programs until the end of April. The state is encouraging the department to work from home.
• Utilities and solid waste will continue normal and emergency staffing.
• The Board of Commissioners authorized Pender County Utilities to temporarily suspend cutoffs during this event however, late fees and penalties will still accrue.
• The Pender County Sheriff offers a wellness check service called “Are You Okay?” To request a wellness check through the Sheriff’s Department call 910-259-1212.
• The Pender County Tax Office urges anyone paying business or personal property taxes to use the return envelope to mail in payments. The return address is Mt. Airy, which is where the county’s print vendor is located, which will in turn report all payments to Pender County.
• Pender County Housing will continue by appointment only. All waiting lists are closed. All paperwork needed for housing assistance is available near the housing department entrance. Completed paperwork should be left in the drop box in front of the housing department office.
• PAS-TRAN will run medical appointments only for transportation, effective March 20. This will be in effect until April 2, unless otherwise notified.
• Pender Adult Services are suspending all senior center activities effective March 19. The last congregate meal will be served March 18 and Shelf Meals will be provided for the remainder of the week for Home Delivered Meals. Effective March 24, one hot meal will be provided for current congregate meal clients on a drive-thru basis only. Call PAS for information at 910-259-9119.
• Home Delivered Meal clients through Pender Adult Services and van rider congregate clients will receive one hot and one cold meal delivered with shelf meals for the week, effective March 24 and each following Tuesday until further notice. For questions call 910259-9119.
- Pender County Board of Elections is operating as normal except the office is closed to public entrance. Elections staff can be reached by phone 910-259-1220, email firstname.lastname@example.org. or visit our webpage for documents or forms.A Drop box will be located at the front door if anyone wishes to drop off a form in person
Visit CDC.gov for more information. The State of North Carolina has set up a Coronavirus hotline at 1-866-462-3821. Watch the Pender County Government website for local updates and information.